These meatballs are perfect for spaghetti, which coincidentally is already vegan! Most pastas are vegan- just be sure to check the ingredients.
If you make this recipe, be sure to read my notes/ observations!
1 Cup TVP
1 Cup water or vegetable broth
1 Tablespoon vegan Worcestershire sauce, or soy sauce.
1 Teaspoon onion powder
1 1/2 Teaspoons Garlic powder
3 Teaspoons Italian seasonings (thyme, oregano, basil, sage, rosemary, & marjoram)
1 Teaspoon salt and pepper
1 Tablespoon brown sugar
2 Teaspoons Apple cider vinegar
1/3- 2/3 cup vital wheat gluten
1/2 Cup chopped onion & 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
1-2 Teaspoons liquid smoke
1 Tablespoon Nutritional Yeast
1. Preheat oven to 350°F and oil or line a baking sheet
2. Rehydrate the TVP in water or vegetable broth and soy sauce. Let set for 10 minutes until all the liquid is absorbed.
3. Add the rest of the ingredients, except the vital wheat gluten.
5. Stir in the vital wheat gluten little by little until it forms a loose dough. Squeeze some into a ball. If it’s too wet, you need more vital wheat gluten. If it crumbles, you may need to add a tablespoon more water. It should be a firm ball that holds together well.
6. Form your meatballs. Then bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes, flipping each one over after 10 minutes. Done!
Cook some spaghetti noodles & heat up some tomato sauce for a tasty dinner.
*before and after baking*
-Before step two, I sometimes will pulse the TVP in a blender or food processor into a fine soy flour before I rehydrate it. I find that this gives the meatballs more of a ground-beef texture.
Spaghetti noodles: $1.50
Tomato sauce: $2
Frozen peas: $2
Tvp: Pennies worth. (I buy it in bulk for $1 per pound at Winco, and one pound lasts forever).
It feeds about 4 people.
This recipe was shared & adapted from sarahsvegankitchen.com