These meatballs are perfect for spaghetti, which coincidentally is already vegan! Most pastas are vegan- just be sure to check the ingredients.
If you make this recipe, be sure to read my notes/ observations!
1 Cup TVP
7/8 Cup water or vegetable broth
1 Tablespoon vegan Worcestershire sauce, or soy sauce.
2 Teaspoons onion powder
2 Teaspoons Garlic powder
3 Teaspoons Italian seasonings (thyme, oregano, basil, sage, rosemary, & marjoram)
Salt and pepper, to taste.
1/4 cup vital wheat gluten
1 Tablespoon brown sugar
1/2 Cup chopped onion & 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
1 Teaspoon liquid smoke
1. Preheat oven to 350°F and oil or line a baking sheet
2. Rehydrate the TVP in water or vegetable broth and soy sauce. Let set for 10 minutes until all the liquid is absorbed.
3. Add all the seasonings.
5. Stir in the flour little by little until it forms a loose dough. Squeeze some into a ball. If it’s too wet, you need more vital wheat gluten. If it crumbles, you may need to add a tablespoon more water.
6. Form your meatballs. Then bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes, flipping each one over after 10 minutes. Done!
Cook some spaghetti noodles & heat up some tomato sauce for a tasty dinner.
*before and after baking*
– Alternative to baking: you could also sauté these meatballs in oil, however I’ve tried this a few times & you’ll have to form much smaller meatballs for them to cook all the way through.
Spaghetti noodles: $1.50
Tomato sauce: $2
Frozen peas: $2
Tvp: Pennies worth. (I buy it in bulk for $1 per pound at Winco, and one pound lasts forever).
It feeds about 4 people.
This recipe was shared & adapted from sarahsvegankitchen.com