These super basic, but tasty muffins make the perfect breakfast treat!
You could add chocolate chips, or use a different type of berry instead. It’s up to you!
For the photos I also added a lemon glaze. Lemon zest would also be lovely in these muffins.
2 Cups all-purpose flour
1/2 Cup Sugar
1 Tablespoon Baking powder
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
1/4 Cup Vegetable Oil
2 Tablespoons flax meal + 4 Tablespoons water
1 Cup dairy-free milk.
1 Teaspoon Vanilla extract
1 Cup Blueberries (fresh or frozen. I prefer frozen)
1. Preheat the oven to 375°
2. In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine the flax meal and water and set aside to thicken.
3. In another medium sized mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
4. The flax meal mixture should be thick now. If not, wait a few minutes before the next step.
5. Once the flax meal has thickened, add the oil and milk to the bowl and whisk lightly. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Do not overmix.
6. Fill each cupcake tin about 1/4 from the top. The recipe should make exactly 12 muffins. Bake for about 20-25 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through baking. You’ll know the muffins are done when they spring back slightly to the touch. If you poke a muffin and it leaves a dent, the muffins need to bake for a few minutes longer.
-Bob’s Red Mill 1:1 gluten-free Baking Flour works wonderfully in place of all-purpose flour in this recipe. The muffins may need to be baked a few minutes longer.
-If you don’t have flax meal (which I highly recommend for vegan baking!) you can instead add 1/4 Teaspoon baking soda + 1 Teaspoon Apple Cider Vinegar or white vinegar. It works in place of eggs as a leavening agent.
For the photos I added a lemon glaze.
It’s 1 cup powdered sugar to 3 tablespoons lemon juice.
Muffins without glaze.
Follow my instagram for more vegan foodporn @autumn.the.vegan