More photos below.
Creamed corn is an easy side dish to make for any meal, not just thanksgiving. I ate a lot of it growing up, and it’s super easy to veganize!
Enjoy the creamed corn as is, or add bacon bits like I did. Recipe here:https://autumnsvegankitchen.com/2019/11/23/bacon-bits/
2 Tbs Vegan butter or oil
1 twelve ounce bag of frozen corn
2 Tbs flour (or 1 Tbs cornstarch if gluten free)
1 Tbs Sugar
2 Tbs vegan mayo
1/2 Cup vegetable broth
1/2 Cup plant milk
1 Tbs Minced garlic (or 1 Tsp garlic powder)
1/4 Tsp Black pepper
1/2 Tsp Salt
2-3 Tbs Nutritional Yeast
1. Heat up the vegan butter or oil in a skillet on medium heat.
2. Once the oil is hot, add the frozen corn and garlic. Heat until the corn is thawed but not cooked, stirring occasionally.
3. Add the flour or cornstarch and cook for about a minute, stirring constantly. Don’t let the flour burn.
4. Add the sugar and mayo then the vegetable broth and milk. If you add too much liquid all at once, it will “break” and become chunky instead of being smooth and gravy-like.
5. Add the nutritional yeast, salt, and pepper and adjust to taste. Simmer and stir the creamed corn until it’s as thick as you like. If you want it thinner, add more vegetable broth or milk.
6. Done! Adjust the nutritional yeast, salt and pepper to your liking.
-You can substitute the vegetable broth for milk, creamed corn doesn’t usually have veggie broth but I enjoy the flavor.
-The mayo isn’t totally necessary, but I find that it adds a dairy-like tang that the plant milk lacks. It also adds some creaminess.
-You can also melt in vegan parmesan last, it tastes absolutely wonderful this way.
See my recipe for the bacon bits here.
Stay tuned for my stuffing recipe! It’ll be posted tomorrow.
follow me on Instagram @Autumn.The.Vegan to stay updated.
Using vegetable broth is a good tip!