Mmm… fresh baked bagels. Now you can make them at home.
I have a few vegan cream cheese recipes in the works too, so stay tuned for those.
Most store bought bagels are already vegan, but everything tastes better when it’s homemade with love.
4 1/2 Cups All Purpose Flour
1 1/3 Cups Water
1 Tablespoon Active Yeast
2 Tablespoons Olive oil or vegan butter
3 Tablespoons Sugar
1 Teaspoon Salt
4 Cups water
1/2 Tablespoon maple syrup or baking soda
1. Combine the flour, instant yeast, and salt in a mixing bowl. Add olive oil and water. Mix and knead by hand until a soft dough forms, about 2-3 minutes. If it’s too sticky, you want to add more flour until the dough is soft but not sticky.
2. Place the dough in a clean bowl and cover with a clean kitchen towel in a warm spot until it doubles in size, about 1-2 hours.
3. Divide the dough into 6 equal parts. Form the dough into smooth balls. In the middle of each dough ball, press down with two fingers to create a hole. Widen the hole to create the typical bagel shape.
4. Preheat the oven to 425°F/200°C
5. Add the water bath ingredients to a boil in a medium sized pot. It must be large enough to completely submerge a bagel.
5. Cook the bagels in the water bath for 30 seconds on each side. Transfer them onto a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
6. Sprinkle bagel seasonings on them if desired.
7. Bake them in the oven for about 12-18 minutes until golden brown. Let cool completely before cutting them in half and enjoying.
-The water bath is necessary, as it forms the shiny “skin” that bagels have.
-Most traditional bagel recipes use either maple syrup or baking soda to help form that skin. I’ve tried it both ways and it works wonderfully and doesn’t effect the flavor either way.
As you can see above, I cut two 1/4 inch thick slits on the top of the bagel before baking. I did this after the water bath.
Before baking & before the water bath
-Autumn ❤️ Follow me on Instagram @Autumn.The.Vegan for more!