3 1/2 Cups All-purpose flour
2 Cups Sugar
2 Teaspoon Baking Soda
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
2 Cups Plant based milk
2 Teaspoons Vanilla
2 Teaspoons Almond extract
2 Tablespoons Poppyseeds
2/3 Cup Canola Oil (or any other vegetable oil)
1 1/2 Tablespoons White Vinegar (or apple cider vinegar)
1/4 Cup Orange Juice
1 Teaspoon Vanilla
1/2 Teaspoon Almond extract
2 Cups Powdered Sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 350°f
2. Mix together the flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt (dry ingredients).
3. To the dry ingredients add milk, vanilla, almond extract, oil, and vinegar (wet ingredients). Whisk together until combined.
4. Prepare your bundt pan or 8×8 inch cake pan by either greasing it with vegetable oil or vegan butter. Pour the batter into your pan.
5. Bake your cake for 45-50 minutes. To check if it’s done, use a toothpick or knife and poke all the way into the center of the cake and pull out. If the utensil comes out clean, you’ll know your cake is done.
6. Once finished baking, take out of the oven and let cool for about 15 minutes before taking the cake out of the Bundt pan. Turn the pan upside down and gently shake the cake out onto a plate. If the cake is being difficult, use a butter knife and scrape along the edge in-between the cake and the pan.
7. Let cool completely before adding glaze.
1. To a mixing bowl add all of the glaze ingredients and mix until combined.
2. Once the cake is cool, pour the glaze over top and allow it about 15 minutes to a set and harden.
-This glaze is made with orange juice, but also tastes great using lemon juice or even no glaze at all.
-You can alter this recipe to be a lemon poppyseed cake by omitting the almond extract and using lemon juice for the glaze. The cake would also taste lovely with lemon zest added to the batter.
-You can make this recipe into cupcakes! Follow the same directions but pour the batter into a lined muffin tray. They’ll need less time to bake, about 20-25 minutes. The recipe should make about 2 dozen.
-Adding vinegar to a cake sounds really strange, I know. But baking is all about chemical reactions. Instead of using eggs as a leavening agent, this recipe uses baking soda and vinegar to make it perfectly fluffy every time. No worries, the vinegar flavor bakes out and leaves you with a perfectly fluffy cake.
Fresh out of the oven.
In the photos below I halved the recipe, so that’s why the cake looks smaller:
-Autumn 💗 Follow me on Instagram @Autumn.the.vegan