Reasons I love curry:
It’s easy and quick to make
It’s very affordable
It’s super creamy and filling
It’s the epitome of comfort food
The recipe is really easy to size-up if I’m feeding lots of people
I can make a lot ahead of time and eat it throughout the week
It’s easy to customize, use whatever veggies you like or have on hand!
1 Tablespoon Vegetable oil or vegan butter
1 Yellow or white onion
1 Tablespoon Minced Garlic
1-2 Tbs Curry powder of choice
1 can Coconut milk
1 can Chickpeas
~ 1 Cup frozen or fresh veggies (I like using peas, carrots and corn)
1 Tablespoon Soy sauce
2 Teaspoon Brown sugar
1 Teaspoon Dried basil
1 Teaspoon Salt
1/2 Teaspoon pepper
1 Tablespoon Lemon juice.
Optional: 1/2 cup raw unsalted cashews
1. Dice the onion and set aside. Heat a saucepan over medium heat with the oil/vegan butter and sauté the onion and garlic for about 5 minutes, until the onion is soft.
2. Add 1 Tbs curry powder and slowly stir in the can of coconut milk. Add the chickpeas and veggies. Add the cashews if you’re using them. Let simmer for about 5 minutes.
3. Add the soy sauce, brown sugar, basil, salt and pepper, and simmer for 2 more minutes. Taste and add more curry powder, or other seasonings to your liking. Add lemon juice last.
4. Done! Enjoy with rice, naan bread, my seitan chicken (recipe here), potatoes in literally any form, the ideas are endless! The only limit is your imagination. This recipe feeds about 3 or 4 people.
-Be sure to taste-test in between every step and adjust the seasonings to your liking.
-This curry is super forgiving, if it’s too thin just simmer for a few minutes longer. If it’s too thick for your liking add more coconut milk or even a splash of water or veggie broth.
– If you are feeding more than 4 people, use 2 cans of coconut milk and add about another 1/2 cup of veggies.
The curry will turn out slightly different colors depending on the veggies used. The top photo is a little more orange because I used red bell peppers, more carrots, and I simmered the curry for a bit longer than I usually do.
It looks yumm. I am going to try this. I am a travel blogger from India. Please pass by my page as well.
That looks good. I have never eaten curry so I don’t know what it taste like. This looks easy to make. Thank you very much for sharing.
LikeLiked by 1 person