Crispy, sweet macaroons!
Traditional macaroons are made using sweetened condensed milk, so we’ll make our own with coconut milk! I promise it’s super easy.
1 Can of full-fat coconut milk
1/4 Cup Sugar
1 14oz bag of sweetened coconut shreds
2 Tablespoons Cornstarch
2 Tablespoons all purpose flour
1/2 Cup dairy-free chocolate chips (optional)
How To Make Sweetened Condensed Coconut Milk:
(Skip this if you have a store-bought can of vegan sweetened condensed milk)
1. Add the coconut milk and sugar to a small saucepan. Simmer on medium-low heat for about 30 minutes or until the liquid reduces by half, stirring about every 5 minutes. Make sure it doesn’t burn!
2. While the condensed milk cools, preheat the oven to 350⁰F.
How to Make Macaroons:
1. Pour the cooled condensed milk into a large mixing bowl and add the coconut shreds, flour, and cornstarch. Mix very well.
2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and form heaping spoonfulls of the mixture into mounds on the baking sheet, about the size of a golfball. Space about 1 inch apart.
3. Bake for about 40 minutes, the edges should be golden. Let cool completely on the baking sheet.
4. Once the macaroons are cool, melt the chocolate either in a double broiler or your microwave. Spoon the chocolate onto the cookies. Let set in the refrigerator. Enjoy!
Stored in the refrigerator these will keep for at least 5 days.